IMPORTANT SHIPPING INFORMATION: Typically ships in 2-3 business days! Please be sure you get the right product and know what's in the bag you are ordering. We cannot take returns of seed because we cannot resell seed that has left our possession as we do not know how it was cared for while out of our hands. (moisture, sunlight, humidity).
Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Dense Shade Grass Seed contains shade tolerant Black Beauty® varieties for lawns with big shady trees, large shrubs or areas shaded by houses or other permanent structures. Black Beauty® Dense Shade contains the four families of cool-season turfgrasses: turf-type tall fescue, Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass and fine fescues, which creates great versatility in shady to partial sun lawns. This seed germinates in 7 to 14 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow - Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow seed to reach the soil.
- Rake - Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level - Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. Optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply - The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant, when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed - Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed - Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one fourth of an inch deep.
- Water - For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 - 2.5 inches.
- Mow - Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 - 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
Coverage: 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding - Seeds up to 1,800 sq. ft.
- New Lawns - Seeds up to 900 sq. ft.
7 lb Bag
- Overseeding - Seeds up to 4,200 sq. ft.
- New Lawns - Seeds up to 2,100 sq. ft.
25 lb Bag
- Overseeding - Seeds up to 15,000 sq. ft.
- New Lawns - Seeds up to 7,500 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Tall and Fine Fescues, Perennial Rye, & Kentucky Bluegrass Grass
Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May Sun
Shade Tolerance: Excellent
Light Requirements: Partial sun to shade (4 - 5 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Depth: ¼ inch
Germination Time: 10 - 14 days